Wednesday, December 24, 2008

My visit to the United States - IV

I realised today that this series from my blog is running into several parts. Now that's not the problem. The problem is that I started using the Roman numerals which are now becoming problematic. Until 3 it was a cake walk but thereafter ?

While I keep mentioning visit to the United States I must also add that I did also visit Toronto for a day. So, technically it is my visit to North America. Anyways, this particular trip is my shortest US trip till date. In almost all my trips there is a day when my checked baggage does not arrive with me. Wonder why this NEVER happens in India. With all the sophisticated technology and all you'd wonder how come such things happen and that to so frequently.

Well, on this instance the scene of crime was Seattle Tacoma airport. Due to my frequent travel on the Star Alliance network of airlines my bag was tagged as a priority. I was always under the impression that "priority" meant that the bags would be taken care of and would arrive before everyone else's on the carousal. However, Air Canada and United Airlines have sworn to crush my beliefs. They keep trying and trying until one day I stop expecting the bag to come at all. This way when the odd day the bag does turn up I feel highly about them !

Getting back to the carousal waiting for my bag to come. I waited and waited and finally the bags from our flight were being sent on the carousal. The rounds went on for about half hour before a group of us accepted the fact that today was our turn to face the music. It turned out that the entire "priority" group's bags didn't arrive. We all stood in line to file the claim. After another 10 or 15 mins.the rep at the counter asked the baggage handlers to re-check if there were any bags left and sure enough the guy replied (after the re-check) that there was indeed a trolley full of bags that were missed out. Finally, after the two hour trauma I got my bag.

The worst part of all this is you can't even take out your anger on the reps in the United States. You can't shout at the people and lighten up from within. At least in India you shout a few abuses at the person at fault and feel light from within !

No comments: