Monday, February 2, 2009

At the cross roads of life

Many a time I find myself at a cross road having to pause and think which road to take. Of course, I don't mean roads literally but about the different paths in life.

The decision made to travel on anyone of these roads is a decision that one has to live with for life. In my case, the first time I was faced with such a situation was after my graduation. I had an option to pursue my MBA or join my relative's granite firm in Chennai. At that point my family and I had taken the decision to join the company in Chennai. Even today, after about 10 years of that decision, I cannot tell for sure if that decision was right or wrong. It could have been right for I got my present job as a result of my stint in the company in Chennai. It could have been wrong cause I am not in the best industry and could have been in a much better position had I pursued my MBA. Ifs and buts are not of any consequence when talking of the past. But they can surely be the guiding factor when planning for the future.




Since the past several months I find myself contemplating about my future. I have a family to support, which makes any decision all the more complicated. The question that keeps popping up all the time now is whether my family's future would be better in the United States or in India. I am reasonably happy with my job but off late there have been difficulties on certain aspects. I know from deep within that these would not be overcome and I'd have to live with the same issue in this company. On the other hand, a world of uncertainties await us had we to move to the US. I am also very attached to the company I work for and find it extremely awkward to even think of any other option.




I am waiting for the balance to tilt one way or the other and hope the clouds of uncertainty pass sooner than later for me to take my journey forward.

No comments: