Monday, February 15, 2010

Hire but wait before you fire

You're Fired. Donald Trump loved to say it and made a fortune saying it. However, these are two most feared words for an employee. I have fortunately never had to face such a situation but was unfortunate to be in Trump's shoes and putting across the same thought to a few employees, although much more mildly. 


I work in a mid sized company and love my work. I have been associated with this company since 8 years now. I have seen the business cycle thru the peaks and troughs. I have seen our company go thru uncertain times when all of a sudden the top management left as a bunch. I have seen our company come out un-scracthed thru that as well and come out blazing. I have seen the old horses make way for young blood. I have been associated in the hiring process all thru in my area of operation. I am very passionate about my work and expect my colleagues to be so as well. I push my team mates to achieve more and get on their nerves many a time. However, I share a great rapport with each one of them. They know I am more of a friend than a boss.


I sometimes disagree with the people we hire but accept that opinions do differ and we've got to make the most of the people we have. I put in a lot of efforts and time to try to make an individual an asset to our company. I feel very dissappointed when one isn't able to perfom on expected lines and is asked to leave. I urge our management to excercise restraint and give everyone a longer period to try and change. There are people wo have shown dramatic change after a year at work. Unfortunately, a few have also improved by leaps and bounds and then quit for greener pastures. That truly pisses me off. However, thats another fact that we have to accept. Off late we have been on a hiring spree. However, I dont see the kind of spark in the new guys. I hope for the sake of our company that they do pull up their socks and make amends. I am excited at the prospects of our organisation going forward and in turn the future of the new guys as well.


I hate to have to say the two dreaded words yet again. 

No comments: