Saturday, November 7, 2009

A trip to rural India

As part of my job I get to travel all over the world which sometimes includes very small villages in India as well. Just the other day I visited the surrounding villages of Rajahmundry in Andhra Pradesh. The purpose of the visit was to have a look at some granite blocks at a few quarries.



Rajahmundry has a small airport as well which is very helpful in saving time to visit the nearby quarries. I then travelled almost 250 kms through the day before reaching Vizag airport for my flight back to Hyderabad. Through the day I came across a lot of people...interacted with a few and saw many. There is almost no infrastructure in the remote villages, no cars, no buildings just open fields, trees and fresh air. Unpolluted nature at its best. While I enjoyed the natural beauty I couldn't help but notice the plight of the people living there. Very poor roads made it a daunting task for people to commute from one place to the other. Areas where the population lived was extremely dirty with open drains and garbage everywhere. Small kids were roaming naked on streets. It always hurts to see small kids, especially, in such a circumstance. I kept wondering what sort of future is in store for them. What kind of life is this ? Why can't anything be done to make things right for those kids ?



I am constantly reminded at a beautiful one liner that I once read somewhere 'He complained about his shoes until he saw a person without legs.' We often take our luxuries for granted and never stop asking for more. We are never satisfied with what we have and always crib about what we don't. I hope and pray for a good life for everyone and hope a day comes when I travel across India to the remotest villages and see happy people in good living conditions.

1 comment:

Rahul said...

Very noble thoughts Mr Shah, it is very unfortunate to see such things.

I hope your vision is achieved !!

Rahul