Tuesday, September 8, 2009

The dreaded flight !

I have been fortunate to travel a bit around the world. However, as most frequent travellers, especially the coach travellers would know travelling in today's times is a punishment rather than fun.



I have been subject to the punishment over and over again in the last several years. The seats have become smaller, the leg space reduced, the meals lesser, the hostesses less friendly. I always try to get on a "Star Alliance" network airline which gives me special treatment due to the amount of business I have given them. However, on the current trip to the United States I was booked on Emirates. One of the sectors was a 16 1/2 hour flight from Dubai to Houston non-stop. This scared the heck out of me. To add to it I wasn't even assigned an isle seat (which I normally do with the travel agent to ensure some freedom in movement). At the airport check in, inspite of pleading with the check in rep I was informed that there are no isles available and that he would put in a request so the reps in Dubai would try and assign an isle when I reach Dubai.



I proceeded to the transfer desk at Dubai and came to terms with the thought of a cramped up middle seat and a screwed up flight. The agent all of a sudden took my boarding card and replaced it with a different looking new one. I thought it was another seat assignment and looked. After repeatedly looking to make sure I was ecstatic as I was assigned a Business Class seat. Yes !! A Business Class seat for a 16 freaking hour flight. All thru until the cabin doors were closed and the plane moved I was hoping that there was no mistake and no other person came up and took my seat. I was reminded of an instance of the same nature that happened a while back. However, nothing of that happened this time around and I enjoyed the flight in great comfort.

No comments: