Monday, June 29, 2009

Under promise over delivery - New York (the movie)


Its all about expectations....I guess. In more n more instances I have seen the impact of expectations on the likability of a movie. New York had a lot of pre-release hype around it, especially it being the first good starer to release after the long stand off between producers and multiplexes. I for one was eager to see the movie and had built in a lot of expectations. I have this habit of looking thru the review on www.rediff.com on the day of the release to know what to expect. To my surprise rediff tore the movie down. My expectations came crashing down as well. I went ahead to see the movie nevertheless on Sunday evening.

PVR was the venue. I have never quite liked this theatre in Hyderabad coz of many issues which we can discuss later. Anyway, the first few scenes of the movie went by nicely. I was waiting for the movie to take the wrong direction was become horrible. However, my wait continued and continued but this flick didn't give me a dull moment. The quick transformation from the carefree college life to the bad bad world of terrorism post 9-11 was wonderfully depicted. The storyline was well paced. John, Neil and Katrina bring loads of freshness and have acted well. Katrina was outstanding towards the end. Irrfan (thats how his name is spelt) was the usual and seemed to have a Slumdog hangover.

The movie did have its share of negatives though. The diction of Neil and Katrina was not fluent. The difficulty in their Hindi was evident. The music was average except for 'Junoon' which was good. The story was made to seem like a Hollywood thriller however lacked pace. It should have been more fast paced and edge of the seat.

As I said, I went in the theatre with low expectations and came out liking the movie. I would give a 6.5/10 for this above average movie.

1 comment:

Preitie said...

You're generous with your score...
I had to think of reasons why the actors would take up scripts like that...but then again...its bollywood...we pay to see some drama and lo behold!