Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Thanks......is it so tough to say ?

Two of the most commonly used words that the British left us with are 'Thanks' and 'Sorry'. Now, I know that many (sometimes, me included) find it difficult to say the word 'Sorry' which in part could be because they don't feel that they are wrong. However, many a time its the EGO that makes the word difficult to utter.



While I do understand that, it just doesn't make sense for me as to WHY people can't say the word 'Thanks'. When one goes about one's daily activity there would be a zillion times when one could effortlessly make use of the beautiful word. However, especially in India, it is unfortunate that people don't make use of it. I've seen people in my office receive their tea and coffee from the office boys everyday and not one says 'Thanks'. I have been fortunate to have it in me to thank the guy who serves me my coffee. Another place where I see absolutely no usage of the word is a restaurant. Why can't we thank the server ? Why can't we thank the person on the street who has helped with directions ? Why can't we thank the valet for bringing our car ? Why can't we thank someone who has done something special for us ?



Wouldn't we love to hear a 'Thank you' from someone for whom we might have done something, small or big ? I'm sure there would be more and broader smiles on every face the day this attitude changes in people. We tend to thank God (sometimes) for anything good that happens to us but couldn't care to offer the same appreciation for the lesser mortals.

Lastly, let me end by thanking you for spending your precious time on my blog !

No comments: