Tuesday, October 21, 2008

The charm of the festival season

I, like most whom I have grown up with, will never ever forget the wonderful childhood that we've had. Things were a lot simpler those days.....no wonder people call it 'the good old days'. I'd give everything up to re-live those days of my life.
I remember the beautiful festive days around Diwali when our entire family would get together and have a pooja at our office followed by idli, wada and some sweet. I remember all my uncles, aunts, cousins and us having a blast. We then followed the day by visiting all near and dear as a group and creating a riot everywhere we went. A few uncles were famous for their loud voices. On occasions I'm sure some neighbours would have contemplated moving out of that locality or even the city for that matter.
I also remember the card parties within the family and a few very close family friends. As a kid I enjoyed seeing my elders laughing and joking with each other. At the end of the party, no one really ever lost or won big time. All were just happy to spend a few hours together.
Those were the days when people knew how to live a life. Today, sadly, life's become a roller coaster. Families rarely ever meet and even when they do the love and happiness seems clearly faded. The good old office no longer hosts any celebration. There is, however, a smaller event at one of our shops which is attanded by a far smaller number of family members. There are no more card parties and nothing much to cheer about around this wonderful time of the year.

No comments: