Friday, September 12, 2008

US Visa

Waiting in line outside the US consulate for my turn to get in, I smiled to myself and wondered how things were the last time I was here.........waiting patiently for my turn to come with a bated breath when the visa officer signalled me to approach the window, I had cold yet sweating palms and at the end of the 30 second interview when I was informed about being granted my visa, I felt as if I had won a gold in the olympics (not that I really know how that felt but I'm sure it would be a similar feeling).

Anyways...here I was again at the consulate. I was fortunate enough to have received the US visa on a few occasions which enabled my several trips to the United States over the last 7 years. This time round I was much more confident and had absolutely no doubt in my mind of being granted the visa and so I was.

During my 'visits' to the consulate in Chennai, one frequently asked question always gets answered - is it luck ? Although I would like to believe that sure, luck might be an added element, merit is the underlining factor. However I am proved wrong time and again. It might be just my perception and there would be well documented guidelines with the officers, but I can say without doubt that the mood of the officer and one's luck play a major role. Those 20 or 30 seconds can make a huge difference to one's life.

I must end this on a lighter note. A guy recently was talking to another and was asked about whether he went to America. "I went to America day before last year !" shot back the reply.

No comments: